Blue.Dragon

When I first picked up Blue Dragon, I wasn't sure if I would like it. I mean after being exposed to US RPGs like Oblivion, I have this liking for free-roaming, action-based RPG. So, for the first few hours, I was basically complaining about the lack of voice dialogs, boring-repetitive turn-based battles, linear gameplay and the inability to change attire.

But after a while, I grew to like it. Why? Because it reminds me of how Japanese RPGs used to (and should) be. The game mechanics function similar to good old Final Fantasy (due to the same designer) and I could immediately get the hang of it without any tutorial.

And what makes an RPG successful is the story. Blue Dragon brings you deep into the story of Shu and his friends - a little village boy turned into a hero who saved the world. Rather than give you countless short uninteresting free-roaming stories, Blue Dragon keeps you focused on the main plot. There are plenty of high quality cut-scenes that unfolds the story bit by bit. It is like you are living in a story (or animation).

Mistwalker did a good job in the character design, giving enough background for each of them. The graphics are excellent and the characters are extremely cute (read Little Meg). Apart from their cuteness and dragon-ball look, you can really relate to their character (and understand their individual believes). At some point in the game, you can really feel for them.

Battle wise, I have to admit that I still consider it boring. Interesting battle sequences quickly turns old when repeated too frequently. I think they could have done a bit more on today's technology. Also, a personal complain is that I don't like to have rock music during battle. It doesn't fit well with the game. Monsters are cute but lack in variety (although having a list of over 300). They usually come with just different colours and stronger stats.



The game allows you to free roam at some point but when that happens, you would have practically explored 90% of the world and there isn't much exploration to do apart from revisiting sites to uncover treasures that you have missed.



Overall, I think Blue Dragon is a must have for any Japanese RPG (or dragon ball) fans out there. And did I mention the game comes with 3 DVDs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post