Layered.Architecture.Sample

Finally!!! It is out of the bag - the latest release of my Expense sample application that is aimed at illustrating how to build .NET enterprise applications using the Layered Architecture concept. In case you are blur-sotong on what is Layered Architecture, it is simply a design pattern where you separate your code logic into Presentation, Business and Data layers.

Now don't confused yourself with n-tier or 3-tier which deals with physical separation of code components. This is logical separation.

I've been working on this sample for almost 2 years now with the first non-public version illustrating how to achieve layering using .NET Remoting. Then I got a little serious with it when I decided to replace remoting with WCF.

It has always been a showcase for Application Architecture on .NET to my friends, MVPs, developer communities and customers. (It is something that I will pull out on a projector when a developer asks, 'How to develop that ah?').

On August last year, I've decided to make it public on http://www.codeplex.com/LayerSample to widen the reach. Since then, I've been procastinating on writing about it on my blog. Today, I managed to resist the XBOX 360 controller and write an entry on my blog about it. :p

Here's a screenshot of the application's workflow (click picture to view in full size).


I hope I can share my insights on developing layered applications with more people around the world. This latest March release mainly focuses on my research on WCF and WF on .NET 3.0. I'm also working on a version that is looking at LINQ and WorkflowServices in .NET 3.5 which I hope I can get a CTP out within these few months.
I've really learned a lot during the construction of this sample - challenges that most people will encounter when developing applications like these. I hope you can learn a thing or two from it as well and if you like it, please help me spread the word or blog about it.
I will talk about it more in later posts. Now.... back to my controller!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post