On My Nightstand Right Now

You know, I never finished "Oyster." I'm not finished with "Oyster" and I'll return to it when I require less drama in my reading life.

Right now, though, I'm reading Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry.

It's got the cliches: strong-jawed ex cop recently widowed, beautiful female soldier, a crew of special ops guys with remarkable skills and a villain that has endless resources... but it's got zombies!! And you know how I feel about zombies! And the writing zings! And the strong-jawed ex-cop isn't always so strong-jawed.

And that, my friends, is good writing. Taking something that will make a reader roll her eyes and twisting it into something enjoyable. Joe Ledger of "Patient Zero" isn't perfect, but he's human and his dark past ain't all that dark so much so that his name is dark... (I'm looking at you, Level 26). It's not in the same vein as World War Z by Max Brooks (District 9 reminded me of that), but more of a smarter Michael Bay movie (not Transformers, but more... Con Air).

Pick it up if you want something cool to read.

Oh! I finished Columbine by Dave Cullen and... Wow.. Damn... How awful... How strange... Tragic... Compelling... Really?... I'm reading it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post