Few months ago, I tried installing Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2008 on a Windows Server 2008 RC with SQL Server 2008 CTP and everything just worked fine! But for the past few days, I'm unable to achieve the feat again.
I discovered that TFS 2008 no longer installs on the latest SQL Server 2008 February CTP because the Full-Text Search is being integrated nicely into SQL Server. I had to fall back to SQL Server 2005 and lucky enough for my previous problem, I managed to get Reporting Services to work on Windows Server 2008 after applying the SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2.
Then I discovered that Windows Server 2008 no longer ships with Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS) and the feature (or Role) is missing. I had to download WSS separately and configure it entirely different from the steps mentioned in the TFSInstall.chm - I used the steps for Windows Server 2003.
After installing and configuring WSS, TFS couldn't find a site to install itself. I then have to provision a Sharepoint site complete with site collection (Good thing I know some Sharepoint).
Finally, when everything is supposed to be fine and well, TFS bombed during the last tincy-wincy-bit of installation with the message:
"Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server - ENU -- Error 28925.TFServerStatusValidator: The tool could not call the Team Foundation Server ServerStatus Web service. Verify that your network is configured to allow communication between the Team Foundation application tier and the Team Foundation data tier. For more information, see the setup log."
Found this on support.microsoft.com but it didn't work. Based on some posts in the MSDN forums mentioning that it could be a TFS Web Services issue, I went on to test out the TFS Web Site. It doesn't seem to be able to connect. At last, I had this evil thought of changing my provisioned site's port number from 8088 to 8080 and TFS finally gets to install!
Anyway, I'm glad I was installing it on a VPC and I could just click 'X' and 'Save State', then troubleshoot later. Now to install the rest of the Team stuff!
Update: The actual solution to the problem can be found in this later post.
Home » Visual Studio Team System » Installing.TFS.2008
Popular Post
-
I am not really a big fan of Jackie Chan and usually don't keep-up with his movies because I find his kung-fu techniques too comical. ...
-
I found out something interesting. When dealing with Spatial data, SQL Server Management Studio will provide us with a tab that looks like t...
-
I was playing with a VM on my Windows Server 2012 and without me knowing it, the .vhdx file has grew to over 40 GB of hard disk space. I che...
-
S tumbled on the following while I was reading up on Unified Dimensional Model (UDM) One UDM to rule them all, One UDM to find them, One UDM...
-
Yikes! I'm really far behind in my academy classes on C# 2.0 :(. Tried to read the chapter on Generics today and boy, was I blur wit...
-
No technical specification available (click images for a larger view)
-
W as busy learning how to customize web pages on a SharePoint site and developing webparts for the past two weeks. As you know, I'm not...
-
While working on a new ASP.NET MVC layer sample with SignalR, I have constantly encountered the following error when I tried to access the ...
-
My course leader had given the green light to go ahead with Oracle 10g for this semester. So, I made a trip to MPH Subang Parade (my favour...
-
The first series production version of the all-important and all-new 2013 Accord rolled off the assembly line at Honda's Marysville Aut...
No comments:
Post a Comment