How do you know if you're a good writer?
It's all so subjective, isn't it?
And I struggle with this question at least... ummm... let's see... every hour.
See, I'm not only a novelist, I'm also a writer at City of Hope, a cancer research institution. My job is to take the hard sciencey like Stat3 genes and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and DNA methylation and such and make it all easy for the ordinary person to understand, prompting them to send in money to support life-saving research. And I often wonder, Did I do my job? Did I really explain what a Nanodrop Spectrophotometer does?
Sometimes, it's easy to tell if I'm good.
My first novel, A Quiet Storm, was published by a big-big publisher.
A potential donor who read my proposal about some devastating disease sent in a big check.
But sometimes, there's silence. A lot of silence. Or rejection. Lots of rejection. And despite past successes, the niggling in the back of your mind becomes more nagging.
You're a hack.
Look at your participles, all dangling like that.
You can't even spell broccoli right the first time.
So. How do you know, right? I suggest asking yourself the following:
1. Can you string sentences together that make sense and offer a clear point of view?
2. Can you improve that sentence, taking suggestions from others, and go beyond what's already on the page to make it shine? In other words, are you open to critique, dear friend?
3. Are you a good reader? A whore of a reader who reads everything and pays attention to how that writer put down words?
4. Are you aware that your writer can always be improved?
5. Have you been professionally validated? Lots of readers, an agent, an editor, a publishing contract, high blog count, something???
6. Do you love the process of writing and even when it's painful, look forward to putting pen to paper or finger to keyboard every day?
If you can say 'yes' to all (or most) of these, I'm thinking you got something goin' on, dear one.
Wonder if Dennis Lehane ever has this problem...
Home » How I Write » How Do You Know...???!???
Popular Post
-
I am not really a big fan of Jackie Chan and usually don't keep-up with his movies because I find his kung-fu techniques too comical. ...
-
I've been promoting a lot on Paladin lately. A check on the download counter today shows 88 downloads for release 0.8.7. That's the...
-
I was playing with a VM on my Windows Server 2012 and without me knowing it, the .vhdx file has grew to over 40 GB of hard disk space. I che...
-
S tumbled on the following while I was reading up on Unified Dimensional Model (UDM) One UDM to rule them all, One UDM to find them, One UDM...
-
I found out something interesting. When dealing with Spatial data, SQL Server Management Studio will provide us with a tab that looks like t...
-
While working on a new ASP.NET MVC layer sample with SignalR, I have constantly encountered the following error when I tried to access the ...
-
Yikes! I'm really far behind in my academy classes on C# 2.0 :(. Tried to read the chapter on Generics today and boy, was I blur wit...
-
No technical specification available (click images for a larger view)
-
Recently, I have been relooking into my Paladin framework as I hope to incorporate some SOA concepts into it. So far, I have built Paladin ...
-
My course leader had given the green light to go ahead with Oracle 10g for this semester. So, I made a trip to MPH Subang Parade (my favour...
No comments:
Post a Comment