Hosting WCF on WAS

It is not frequent that I host my WCF services on Windows Activation Service (WAS) - reasons being not many organizations that I work with run Windows Server 2008. Now that I see a Windows Server 2008, I would like to use WAS instead of IIS and configure some of the internal services to use netTcpBinding instead to improve performance.

If you run through the steps here (and probably some tutorials), you will realized that we will need to execute a command similar to this:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set site "Default Web Site" -+bindings.[protocol='net.tcp',bindingInformation='808:*']

or this if we are running in a virtual application

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set app "Default Web Site/MyService" /enabledProtocols:http,net.tcp

But I am a lazy person, I like to use the UI. So you can achieve the same results from IIS by defining your bindings. Right-click on the site and select Edit Bindings... then Add a new binding for net.tcp.


Then right-click on the site again and goto Manage Web Site -> Advanced Settings... and add net.tcp to the Enabled Protocols property.


There you have it! WCF on WAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post