I know! Because he wrote about our encounter with those hostile aliens as through they were neighbors pissed off because Herbert's dog always barked in the middle of the night and because Herbert never picked up his newspapers from the lawn. But Herbert never met a Martian. (Not that I was there when he wrote War of the Worlds in 1898, but I'm almost certain.)
"Then, how did he write it then? Cuz that would be writing what you don't know."
Yep. That's what it is. And that make our job [writing] so damned cool.
Writers are naturally a curious bunch, always reading and wondering and imagining things. And if we only wrote about the stuff we knew about first-hand, then there would be a glut of stories involving Uniball pens, The World of Warcraft, The Writer's Journey and recaps of the final season of "The Wire."
When I wrote A Quiet Storm, I had not experienced bipolar disorder in my personal life, nor did I know anything about losing a husband to the Pacific like Nicole does in The View from Here. I've never painted a room purple one day only to paint it orange four days later. And I've never had an affair, and therefore, never lived with that type of guilt. I've popped Valium twice in my life (after Lasik surgery) but never enough of anything to start seeing the dead.
"How did you write about all that, then?" you ask.
Research. Reading. Talking to people who have experienced all that I'm curious about. Then, I read some more. And I read about subjects tangentially related to the original subject.
I do most of my research after the completion of my first draft -- while I'm writing that first draft, I don't know a lot about my story so I hold off on the Googles.
For instance, in the story I'm working on now, the heroine (I don't even know her name right now) started out as a cop. But as I wrote, I decided that I wanted her to be a claims investigator of an insurance company. Now, do I do any claims investigators? Nuh un. But my neighbor sells insurance and I'm sure he knows one, and so I will get a referral from him and email this person and pick her brain and then go to the Googles and learn so much stuff that every conversation I'll have thereafter will feature a tidbit about insurance.
So, you must read. You must read everything. You must become a Google whore.
Here are a few of my favorite information sites you may find handy:
The Quotations Page
How Stuff Works
Cliche Finder
Cop Seek
Beaucoup
Forensic Science Resources
Drug Watch
Absolute Write
Home »Unlabelled » What Do You Mean, H.G. Wells Never Met a Martian?
Popular Post
-
Victor Uribe Portfolio 2011 Updated
-
"Having many red indians is better than one chief". That's the statement most C*O lived-by today in Malaysia. That's also...
-
When deploying applications to The Cloud (on Windows Azure), we have a choice in storing our data in Windows Azure Storage or SQL Azure. For...
-
If you have been using Visual Studio 2013 for a while, you will notice that it behaves differently from previous versions of Visual Studio ...
-
After a week long of 'vacation', I guessed it is time to get back to life. Just received a notice from my academy. I have been accep...
-
T he READY Worldwide Launch at KLCC Convention Centre on Tuesday was quite an exciting event for me. Although it was pretty tiring, I'...
-
F ollowing my post, Exploring Unchartered Regions , I've finally managed to pull through 'the feat' today. It was actually the 0...
-
Have been doing too many things for the past few weeks both at home and at work. Can't really focus well on each of them but trying very...
-
This is the final part of the 7-series tutorial on Layered Architecture Solution Guidance 2013 . In this walk-through, we will be looking a...
-
Resident.Evil:Apocalypse RE2 was a little disappointment. I feel that Part I is much better but that's probably I didn't play part...
No comments:
Post a Comment