The task of delivering software solutions on-time and on-demand has become a great challenge for many project teams nowadays with businesses moving at web-time and user requirements becoming more volatile. Changes happen too fast and project teams often end up with either the wrong product or a missed deadline. Perhaps it is time we re-look into the strategies of developing and delivering software solutions.
For quite sometime my friends from abroad have told me about Agile Programming (AP) and Extreme Programming (XP). Now, having more time on software development, I finally have the luxury to look at them. I've only started to read about AP and XP. Therefore, I won't be able to share much on it for now.
Basically, AP introduces a new paradigm where heavy documentation and long-winded processes no longer reign supreme in the software development life-cycle. Instead, it encourages short-release cycles and places more emphasis on working software - Read more.
XP is another lightweight methodology like AP and in away can be seen as one of the AP approach. I'm paying more attention to XP currently as some of the concepts (which is similar to AP) has captured my attention - Read more.
I've always prefered simplicity in my style of design and practiced iteractive releases in the software that I build and most of the XP principles do make a lot of sense to me. I'm particularly keen on Test-Driven Development currently where I'm looking at NUnit.
However, I believe these type of lightweight methodologies will send shivers to our project managers who come from the old school (you know those SDLC dudes). Now, I'm thinking if I can introduce AP or XP to my CMMI Engineering Process Group. Those guys seem to like documentation and process alot. :(
What do you think? Do you think AP or XP is workable in our culture and service-based environment? Have you tried to practiced them in your organization?
Home »Unlabelled » Going.Agile.&.Extreme
Popular Post
-
I've been looking into the programmable aspects of SQL Server 2005 for the past days and one of the things that interest me most is the ...
-
ARC312 - Enterprise Architecture by Gurpreet Pall Started day 2 with a dose of Enterprise Architecture. I like Gurpreet's example of ...
-
What a disappointing day! :( Started the day with a massive traffic congestion in the main road not far from my house. Stucked there for al...
-
Got curious about the Firebird database today. Heard of it for quite sometime but never tried it. One of my friends has been giving a lot o...
-
M anaging indexes in SQL Server 2005 has changed. All the index management functions are now located in a new and more standardized, ALTER I...
-
I was roped in to work on Active Directory these two days as the dudes in the MIS department had ran out of ideas. I was approached by my CI...
-
"Too many cooks spoil the broth" As the famous saying goes but will too many developers spoil the code ? It actually depends on ...
-
Have been hooked on Zuma lately (an online game provided by MSN). Never imagined that such a simple game can be so addictive. Previously, I...
-
Have you ever wished to be able to work from home? You know like, sitting on that nice comfy chair (or slumber on the bed), listening to the...
-
Day 4 of J2EE training. Today, we completed everything on Enterprise Java Beans (EJB). For the past two days, we learnt about Session Beans,...
No comments:
Post a Comment