Lots of ink on GM's plug-in hybrid announcement. With headlines like "GM Promises Plug-in Hybrid," Waggoner's statement in LA moves plug-in cars back into the public discussion of petroleum alternatives. "Environmentalists" generally were credited with pressuring GM toward green technologies, and Roland Hwang of NRDC rightly questions whether GM's plans are mere "smoke and mirrors." While espousing the "electrification of the automobile," Waggoner made no firm committment.
Unfortunately, our major environmental organizations have made no firm committment, either. The environmental Big Three - Sierra Club, Natural Resources Defense Council, and the Union of Concerned Scientists - remain on the sidelines of the plug-in discussion. Jason Mark of UCS responded to Waggoner's speech in the LA Times and Scientific American by ignoring the challenge and benefits of plug-in cars. He derides automakers for not focusing on more efficient internal combution engines. "They should be combining existing technologies to give us 5- and 10-mile-per-gallon improvements." Could there be a more pathetic response?
These organizations continue to call for a focus on more efficient gasoline cars, a policy with two decades of failure and no hope of actually solving the problems of petroleum dependence and global warming.
Irony abounds. George Bush, oilman, seems to understand the commonsense benefits of plug-in hybrids. And now Rick Waggoner of GM, creator and killer of the EV1, has again breached the industry taboo on connecting to the cleaner, cheaper, ubiquitous electric grid. Speaking at an energy alternatives forum recently, Ex-CIA Director and neo-con "[James] Woolsey advocated moving away from cars that run on petroleum..... and [Sierra Club Global Warming Director Dan] Becker argued for making cars that go further on a tank of gas."
We'd be a lot further along if professional environmentalists heeded logic and science and advocated for plug-in cars. Roland: When will that long-promised plug-in study appear?
Sources:
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/29/AR2006112901343.html
www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gm30nov30,1,4421824.story?coll=la-headlines-business
www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa001&articleID=19781CFBCF60D73CB688A6C6CA5E55FF
www.infoisrael.net/cgi-local/text.pl?source=4/b/i/091120061
Home » UCS » Is GM's Plug-in Hybrid for Real? What Say Big Enviro?
Is GM's Plug-in Hybrid for Real? What Say Big Enviro?
09:02
Unknown
Labels:
environmentalism,
NRDC,
UCS
Popular Post
-
I found out something interesting. When dealing with Spatial data, SQL Server Management Studio will provide us with a tab that looks like t...
-
I was playing with a VM on my Windows Server 2012 and without me knowing it, the .vhdx file has grew to over 40 GB of hard disk space. I che...
-
S tumbled on the following while I was reading up on Unified Dimensional Model (UDM) One UDM to rule them all, One UDM to find them, One UDM...
-
While working on a new ASP.NET MVC layer sample with SignalR, I have constantly encountered the following error when I tried to access the ...
-
Yikes! I'm really far behind in my academy classes on C# 2.0 :(. Tried to read the chapter on Generics today and boy, was I blur wit...
-
No technical specification available (click images for a larger view)
-
My course leader had given the green light to go ahead with Oracle 10g for this semester. So, I made a trip to MPH Subang Parade (my favour...
-
The first series production version of the all-important and all-new 2013 Accord rolled off the assembly line at Honda's Marysville Aut...
-
I've been promoting a lot on Paladin lately. A check on the download counter today shows 88 downloads for release 0.8.7. That's the...
-
W as busy learning how to customize web pages on a SharePoint site and developing webparts for the past two weeks. As you know, I'm not...
No comments:
Post a Comment