This Australian Aborginal Toyota Art Car Basket was created using Tjanpi Grass by the Tjanpi Weavers Group headed by Artis Kantjupayi Benson using a lesser-known Aboriginal weaving art practice.
The Grass Toyota art car ended up being 16ft long by 13 feet wide and 5m long, and 8.2 ft high and was was commissioned by the World Expo in Hanover Germany.
While Kantjupayi sat on a chair leaning on her long walking stick, she oversaw the younger women drawing the shape of the vehicle with chalk on the concrete floor of the Blackstone hall. Minyerri grass, a wiry grass found in the sandy country approximately 20kms from Blackstone, was used in the construction. The grass was fashioned into coils and attached with jute twine and wire to welded steel framed panels covered with chicken mesh. The steel frames were made by Perth sculptor Claire Bailey, adhering to the women’s designs. All in all there were twenty artists involved over a month long period to realise the work and there was much celebration, hilarity and joy on its completion.
via
Home » truck » Aboriginal Toyota Art Car Basket made from Grass
Aboriginal Toyota Art Car Basket made from Grass
19:46
Unknown
Labels:
Aboriginal,
Australia,
Fiber,
sculpture,
truck
Popular Post
-
Nissan's good news for Sunderland Two bits of good news recently from Nissan and their award-winning car-making facility in Sunderland. ...
-
Have been doing too many things for the past few weeks both at home and at work. Can't really focus well on each of them but trying very...
-
I just received a picture from Jonathan that he took secretly without my knowledge. Look at that - Tattoo and Beer! Isn't it cool? Th...
-
Finally received the photos from Mikey. I've included some good ones here for you to see: There you go. Lady MVPs side-by-side. GuRLPoW...
-
Recently, I have been relooking into my Paladin framework as I hope to incorporate some SOA concepts into it. So far, I have built Paladin ...
-
My course leader had given the green light to go ahead with Oracle 10g for this semester. So, I made a trip to MPH Subang Parade (my favour...
-
The first series production version of the all-important and all-new 2013 Accord rolled off the assembly line at Honda's Marysville Aut...
-
In the words of a slotbrother from the UK... that's one BIG magnet! Not really sure of the photographer of this shot but I figured it wa...
-
Synovate Motoresearch presented some very interesting survey results at the Advanced Automotive Battery Conference in Long Beach, CA last w...
-
Y up! I'm going back to the gym again. Had an invitation from my colleague and I spontaneously agreed to sign-up. Guessed I have to get ...

No comments:
Post a Comment