Is it Hunting Season again? Everyone I know seems to be looking (or have looked) for greener pastures nowadays. I was so surprised to find that those who have sworn loyalty to their companies have also moved on. *Hehe* Time to collect new name cards :p
Contract Vs. Permanent
I noticed companies are mostly offering contract positions nowadays - including mine. They are more cautious when it comes to increasing their headcounts. I'm lucky to be given a permanent position. I find it quite unsafe to be holding a contract position and I somehow have this thought that the company is not sincere and commited if they offer a contract position.
[Contract here does not mean providing consultancy services as an expert. It is just another form of employment (like permanent position) but the employee is not made part of the organization.]
Some of my friends don't mind giving up their permanent positions for contract positions because they prefer the perceived higher income, not involved in organization politics and management, wider choice of opportunities, opportunity to demand for higher salary upon contract renewal (if organizations buy it), contractual bonus (if lucky) and etc.
But to me, contract means insecurity as you have to keep on moving (if you are not lucky) from organizations to organizations. I find it quite stressful mentally when you need to think about whether your contract will be renewed every 6 months. Because of this, you also can't have accurate mid-to-long term family plans because of the short-cycle of employment.
You will also lose your seniority because no matter how many years of contract renewal, you are still not considered part of the organization (unless you get absorbed in as permanent). Lastly, loss of benefits - some organizations don't provide medical benefits, loans, training, EPF and SOCSO to their contract workers. (Heck, even Voluntary Separation Scheme (VSS) won't be offered to contract workers :p)
To me, I think we should strive to have a steady growing income if we chose to be employed (Otherwise, we should try running a business which is more exciting :p). You may start low but you may end high (if lucky). Being in contracts may make your growth stagnant at a stage, something like start mid and end mid. And even though you make it to the high end, it may not last you to 55 and beyond (Not to forget no EPF at that time).
I feel that if we want to go contract, we should specialize on something and grow ourselves to be experts - i.e. Data Warehousing consultants or .NET specialists. Then form a small consultancy company and grow from there.
Do you have any succes stories in contract employment to share?
Home »Unlabelled » Where.Deers.&.Antelopes.Play
Popular Post
-
M y Streamyx was down for approximately five days. The technician told me that it is a problem with my port over in their headquarters. Acco...
-
H ave been trying to download Office 2007 Beta 1 Refresh for the past few days but the line traffic condition was so bad. With just below 10...
-
Is it Hunting Season again? Everyone I know seems to be looking (or have looked) for greener pastures nowadays. I was so surprised to find ...
-
Will be held at my dining room table because I'm sick. I am also drafting this entry with one of my Christmas gifts-the Livescribe smart...
-
They say that schooldays are the happiest days of your life. Fun, companionship, the making of lifelong friends all combined with the founda...
-
As decided by the listeners of Danish P3 ... Spleen United covers Justin Timberlake ...to be honest I feared the worst, but they've tu...
-
Been working on a new blog...in Danish. Not really sure why, but I probably just need some fresh air or something. Check it out if you like...
-
Check out new Tiger Baby single Landscapes ...taken from the band's new album Open Windows Open Hills . Predictably, this is catc...
-
S QL Server 2005 SP1 March 2006 CTP and its accompanying SQL Server 2005 Books Online (March 2006 CTP) are now available for preview. User...
No comments:
Post a Comment