"Know yourself well but know your competitors better."
In my case, it will be to know "the competing technology better" :) I've been attending J2EE training this week. Today is day 3 and the course ends this Friday. The instructor was quite knowledgeable and he refers me and my team as "C.I.A. agents learning Arab" :D The first day of class, he refers Windows server as NT. Today, he knows what is Windows Server 2003 and a little bit of what .NET can do :P
I had to push my management to let me attend this course because I couldn't find a suitable and patient person in my company who knows enough of J2EE to tell me about it. The last I pestered someone, she asked me to go read myself :( I found a patient chap, a contract staff from India, but he wasn't sure about J2EE and he spent more than 3 hours without any result that day trying to configure the application server in order to show me a HelloWorld EJB.
And somehow, I have the strangest feeling that the developers in my company are J2EE phobic and some are just developers who knows Java-syntax (Sorry guys if you are reading this). There aren't many architects around. That's why this course is important!
I understand why most of them shrug J2EE. The concepts alone are frightening to many developers who do not have good architectural foundation. Basically, if you have the experience in architecture, you will be able to understand it regardless of .NET or J2EE. Another scary part is the configuration portion which is quite a nightmare. Luckily, my instructor was experienced enough to guide us.
Well, I may need to use something like this in future - DotnetJ
No comments:
Post a Comment