Duh.Power.of.x64

I have recently converted my Lenovo ThinkPad T61p (company asset) into a super workstation by installing Windows Server 2008 64-bit and I must say it is awesome!

The thought came a few months ago, when I learned that all Core 2 Duo processors are 64-bit (ok, I know I'm a bit dumb when it comes to hardware) and that the T61p is really a kick @$$ notebook with support for Intel Virtualization Technology (which means it could run Hyper-V!). And after getting 4GB RAM, I discovered that my 32-bit Vista can only use up to 3GB of RAM (although SP1 detects 4GB) - What a waste?!

So I went on with Windows Server 2008 x64 and since then, I have been very happy with it. On boot up it takes lesser resources than Vista and performs faster. Lenovo has all the drivers available for 64-bit - just download the ones for Vista 64-bit.

For my work, I have installed SQL Server 2005 x64 and Visual Studio (2005 and 2008) and they all worked fine. Infact, I felt that my code compiles faster! (or maybe it is just psychological).

Note: There is no 64-bit Visual Studio but there is 64-bit .NET Framework.

I also enabled the 'Desktop Experience' a.k.a. 'Aero Glass' and did some performance tuning to make it behave like a workstation. I also got Windows Sidebar working but not without some registry hacks.

Out of curiosity, I enabled Hyper-V to checkout the new virtualization technology and it is pretty cool with the ability to assign number of virtual processors (CPU), support for 64-bit guest OS and make full use of hardware virtualization. Hyper-V is still in RC now at the time of this post. My virtual machines run as fast as my host eventhough they are on external hard drives connected through USB.

So if you are thinking of reformatting your notebook, do consider Windows Server 2008 64-bit if your hardware supports it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post