Windows.7.on.Presario.X1000

I know it is about time I lay my antique Compaq Presario X1000 to rest but after trying out Windows 7 RTM, I had a thought ... "Since it can run on netbooks, maybe it can run on my Presario X1000!". I know Aero Glass is out of the question but I had 2GB RAM on that machine.

So off I went to install it and everything went well. Almost all of the drivers get updated through Windows Update and even the touchpad was working (previously not working in Vista). Of course, I was very careful of the graphics driver as I got into a lot of issues with it while installing Vista (massive horizontal lines) but Win 7 gave no problems at all - amazing!

When it comes to fresh boot up, it only takes about 40 seconds or less. But the boot up time increased to approximately 2 minutes as I put in AVG and Live Messenger. The boot up memory footprint is much smaller than Vista which is what I like - averaging 400-500MBs for me.

I can watch movies on the machine and use the machine for normal work like surfing the net. From Task Manager, it is obvious that the CPU is the bottleneck as most of the time, it will hit 100% when two or more applications were running.

Overall, I think this is a well-polished Windows OS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post