Leader != Manager

"A Leader lights the fire in the hearts of people, a Manager lights the fire under the people".

My company conducted a Leadership Excellence training a few days ago and I was invited to attend. There, I got to learn more about what it takes to be a leader and a manager. Wait-a-minute, didn't I say I don't want to be a manager anymore a few days ago? What am I doing in this course? Heh! I just attend it for the kicks! Afterall, no harm learning something that I may use in future right? ;)

"Not all Leaders are Managers and not all Managers are Leaders"

That's very true! I'm currently a leader who don't want to be a manager. *Hehe* The course was interesting but fall short of my expectations. I was hoping for something like Steven R. Covey's - 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. But anyway, it was a good 2 day vacation! *Haha*

Rich-Client Poor Developer

Recently, users have become more demanding. They dislike the 'postbacks' of web pages, popup browser windows and the submit-response model. They want a rich UI like windows applications delivered through the web. Oh Boy! I really hope Windows Longhorn can make it here faster with XAML.

Few weeks back a company approached us with their Rich-client solutions. It looks good, considering it a Java solution. :P Some people in my company have already started dreaming of replacing their JSPs with this rich-client product. But then it comes with a price-tag and the company was somewhat too 'proud' of their product. So, some smart alec went to sourceforge and found an OSS alternative. Poor company, I heard it was worth RM40Mil and the product was event patented. Well, this is a good example of how OSS kills innovation and businesses.

Now, I'm really looking for a rich-client solution for my .NET applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post