Have you ever been handled over an abandoned system where you have no idea of it and asked to maintain or complete it?
Lately, there were several uncomplete systems that landed on my lap for assessment. I was told to give guestimates on how long it will take to make them fully functional and fully compliant to the customers' requirements. Being a sceptic, I demanded to look at the source codes before I start plucking numbers from the sky.
For the first system, I must say that the developers have done a great job for designing and producing such a system where with one look, it will keep you motivated (and curious) in building it. However, like all traditional systems, code documentation was insufficient and the English in the documentation was really a challenge. To pose a greater challenge, the system will need to be delivered in Bahasa Malaysia and it really drives me up the wall trying to map the codes and specifications back-and-forth from English to Malay.
The second system was simple but a pain. The logic was terrible, the databases were scattered and the bugs were burried deep. Documentation is non-existence and problems were aplenty. If you want my comments, I will say it is total rubbish! But there is nothing that we can do now as the project is nearing its end and we cannot afford a rebuild. So me and my new found colleagues have to dig in and excavate the carcasses. I'm sure most of us are at a total loss and frustrations are slowly building within us.
I'm sure many of you have experienced this as well. How did you handle it? Where do you begin and what strategies do you employ to make it work? Please feel free to share.
Popular Post
-
I've been looking into the programmable aspects of SQL Server 2005 for the past days and one of the things that interest me most is the ...
-
I was roped in to work on Active Directory these two days as the dudes in the MIS department had ran out of ideas. I was approached by my CI...
-
M anaging indexes in SQL Server 2005 has changed. All the index management functions are now located in a new and more standardized, ALTER I...
-
What a disappointing day! :( Started the day with a massive traffic congestion in the main road not far from my house. Stucked there for al...
-
Day 4 of J2EE training. Today, we completed everything on Enterprise Java Beans (EJB). For the past two days, we learnt about Session Beans,...
-
ARC312 - Enterprise Architecture by Gurpreet Pall Started day 2 with a dose of Enterprise Architecture. I like Gurpreet's example of ...
-
Got curious about the Firebird database today. Heard of it for quite sometime but never tried it. One of my friends has been giving a lot o...
-
Microsoft TechEd Asia 2004 will commence tomorrow with a day of pre-conference workshops and 4 days of non-stop technical track sessions. S...
-
Have been hooked on Zuma lately (an online game provided by MSN). Never imagined that such a simple game can be so addictive. Previously, I...
-
Have you ever wished to be able to work from home? You know like, sitting on that nice comfy chair (or slumber on the bed), listening to the...
No comments:
Post a Comment