IIS.7.on.Vista

I was re-installing SQL Server 2005 on my notebook and as we all know, there are some issues that will prevent SQL Server Reporting Services from installing on Vista. Out of curiosity, I decided to search for a solution and I came across this KB article: How to install SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services on a Windows Vista-based computer.

I followed the steps to configure the features on IIS 7.0 but encountered an error when I tried to enable ASP.NET from the "Turns Windows features on and off" list. The installation failed with the following message:

"An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed."

I then found this KB article: Error message when you try to install the ASP.NET feature in IIS 7.0: "An error has occurred".

My machine isn't upgraded from XP and I didn't install any beta versions of .NET or Visual Studio on it. My machine has .NET 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on it though. After several tries, I still get the error.

I went on to try the following but still couldn't solve the issue:
  • Uninstalling and re-installing IIS 7.0
  • Running aspnet_regiis -i (this will fail with an error)
  • Uninstalling .NET Framework 1.1
I got so frustrated as it has taken up my whole day. Then I saw Bernard (our trusty o' IIS MVP) on my MSN list and decided to ping him for help. He then told me to uninstall Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) and try it again. Before I tried, he told me "Got only 40% chance of success ah... if not you will have to install Vista SP1". Then *poof* he disappeared.

I remember enabling WAS to try out some WCF stuff last time. So, I
  1. disabled the WCF HTTP Activation
  2. disabled the WCF non-HTTP Activation
  3. uninstalled WAS
  4. uninstall and reinstalled IIS 7.0 with all the earlier instructions of enabling IIS 6 compatibility for SQL Server Reporting Services
*WHALA!* Can enable ASP.NET liow. Then I proceeded to install SQL Server Reporting Services and it installs without any problems.

There you go, a day's adventure, a day's learning. Thanks Bernard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post