Writers are usually smart people. The best of us read. And we read a lot. I mean, reading novels, matchboxes, the sides of buses... run away quickly if you meet a writer who doesn't read. There is no truth in him/her! Anyhoo...
Although we tend to be know-it-alls, we do not know it all. Gasp! And don't tell my husband I just wrote that because our sixteen-year relationship is built upon me knowing it all. But I don't, especially about my craft.
And I'm sure you don't. Don't be offended. You don't. And because we are all in this together, I'd like to share a post from a blog titled Terrible Minds that speaks gospel: 25 Things Every Writer Should Know.
My favorite is Number 13:
Cultivate Calluses
Put differently, harden the fuck up, soldier. (And beard the fuck on, while we’re at it.) The writing life is a tough one. Edits can be hard to get. Rejections, even worse. Not everybody respects what you do. Hell, a lot of people don’t even care. Build up that layer of blubber. Form a mighty exoskeleton. Expect to be pelted in the face with metaphorical (er, hopefully metaphorical) ice-balls. It’s a gauntlet. Still gotta walk it, though.
Are there other rules that you've discovered that aren't on this list?
Home »Unlabelled » 25 Things Every Writer Should Know
Popular Post
-
I am not really a big fan of Jackie Chan and usually don't keep-up with his movies because I find his kung-fu techniques too comical. ...
-
I've been promoting a lot on Paladin lately. A check on the download counter today shows 88 downloads for release 0.8.7. That's the...
-
Yikes! I'm really far behind in my academy classes on C# 2.0 :(. Tried to read the chapter on Generics today and boy, was I blur wit...
-
I was playing with a VM on my Windows Server 2012 and without me knowing it, the .vhdx file has grew to over 40 GB of hard disk space. I che...
-
No technical specification available (click images for a larger view)
-
S tumbled on the following while I was reading up on Unified Dimensional Model (UDM) One UDM to rule them all, One UDM to find them, One UDM...
-
Recently, I have been relooking into my Paladin framework as I hope to incorporate some SOA concepts into it. So far, I have built Paladin ...
-
My course leader had given the green light to go ahead with Oracle 10g for this semester. So, I made a trip to MPH Subang Parade (my favour...
-
Finally received the photos from Mikey. I've included some good ones here for you to see: There you go. Lady MVPs side-by-side. GuRLPoW...
-
It was quite an interesting chat with Malek Kemmou tonight as he has been giving me lots of tips and guides on Service-Oriented Architectur...
No comments:
Post a Comment