Nokia Lumia 920 Battery Saving Tips

I have just got myself an awesome Nokia Lumia 920 and I would like to share some battery saving tips. Generally, it is the same with the Lumia 800 and 900 phones except with a few additions. Here are the things I do to conserve battery power.

1. Turn off WiFi

I only enable it when I need it. I found that having the phone to continuously be aware of available WiFi hotspots will drain the battery faster. The downside is I have to manually turn it on and off. I sometimes wish there is a shortcut for this.

2. Turn off Bluetooth

I never needed it or use it except for the initial stage of transferring content to the new phone.

3. Turn off Tap+Send (a.k.a. NFC)

New in Lumia 920, there is a Tap+Send option. Turn that off if you are not using any NFC devices with your phone.

4. Enable Battery Saver

Enabling battery saver can make a lot of difference. New in Lumia 920, there is an Advanced button at the bottom of the Battery Saver page. Tap on that and select Always. Although it says not recommended, basically it just turns off the capability of your apps updating itself (i.e. on live tiles). Your tiles and apps will still get updated when you open them.

5. Location

You can turn this off if you want. I usually left mine on.

6. Brightness

You can adjust the brightness of the screen. I left mine at Automatic and honestly, I think Lumia's 920 automatic settings are much better than the 800 and 900.

7. Block off any Background Tasks

Under Settings -> Applications -> Background Tasks, you can see a list of apps that can run in the background. If you have a lot of apps, you may see a lot of them here. Block any non-essential apps' background task to conserve battery. I blocked all.

8. Flight Mode

If you are in a cinema, meeting or any event which you really don't want to be disturbed, turn on Flight Mode. That actually deactivates your carrier signal. (Note: It actually takes more power to switch on your phone so it is not a good idea to switch it off if let's say you are attending a 1 hour meeting or watching a movie).

9. Turn off Internet Sharing

Turn it off if you are not using it!

10. Sound

You can turn off sound for Key press if you don't want to hear a click sound every time you tap on a key on the keyboard. I left mine on.

11. Close unused apps

Close any apps that you have opened. Hold the back button to get a list of active apps and then close them. I usually hit the back button frantically to ensure no apps are open *LOL*

All the above can be done in the Settings page except for Tip #11. By turning on stuff only when you need it, the phone battery should be able to last for one day. I am a heavy message and app user (photos, facebook) with occasionally making a few calls and my phone can last about 24 hours with one full charge.

Hope the above tips works for you :)

P.S. If you are paranoid, you can plug-in your phone to your PC while you are at work :p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post