Hello.World.7710

Was curious about developing applications for my phone and I went on to do some research. I'm glad to have bumped into a friend who is quite well-verse with the symbian development environment. To develop applications on the Symbian platform, we can either go C++ or Java (J2ME).

Being my ambitious self, I chose to try out the C++ SDK. *Heck! I don't even know C++*. To start off, I downloaded the Nokia 7710 SDK for Symbian OS, For C++. Looks like I have better luck this time as my previous attempt to setup the development environment for my 6600 was horrifying.

The 7710 SDK allows me to use Visual Studio .NET 2003 for development. So that sort of made me feel a little more comfortable. The SDK also requires ActivePerl to run.

Once the SDK is installed (make sure there are no spaces in the path), that's when the fun begins. It comes with an Application Wizard that allows me to generate the skeleton code for my application. The generated project can then be loaded into VS.NET where it can be compiled and deployed to the emulator.

There are plenty of samples in the SDK. Documentation though not as extensive as MSDN, are still available. All the tools needed to package and deploy the application to .sis format are available.

Honestly, I have no idea on what the generated code does. I was syntactically challenged because I'm not familiar with C++. Fortunately, I have a few friends who are patient enough to explain to me. Thank you guys! *Muaks*

Well for now, I managed to look at the samples and developed a "Hello Serena!" application. I hope I can learn more when I have the time. This is can be a good excuse for me to learn up C++.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post