Nokia.7710.Unleashed

I've been busy playing with my Nokia 7710 smartphone for the past few days. Yup! I finally got it after weeks of waiting, drooling and sleepless nights craving for it. I got the phone on Monday as promised. The phone is so cool!

I've repeatedly reminded my colleague to get me the beige one because the silvery-black units I saw in KLCC weren't that nice - looks like iPaqs. He told me that I have to count on my luck because the shipment comes in only one colour at the time. I was praying hard for beige and when he pulled out the box from the Nokia bag... Yippee! Beige!!!



Here's what the box contains: the phone, a charger, phone stand, leather case, a spare stylus, BP-5L 1300mAH battery , 128MB MMC, USB Data Cable, fashion ear-phones, manual and Nokia software CD.

I must applaud Nokia for designing this awesome phone. The design is sleek, feels just right to hold and not too heavy. The phone is solid, sturdy, fitted nicely and doesn't creek like the 6600. Beige colour makes the unit more elegant *Ok! Ok! I'm biased*

The 640x320 display panel is simply wonderful, offering plenty of workspace. The display is bright (adjustable), sharp and clear. Some friends commented that it looks like a Mac. The interface is fully skinnable with themes. By default, only two themes are available. *Wish they had more*

The icons in the Desk menu can be dynamically resized to accomodate readability. The pictures can be changed and we can set a background wallpaper. A toolbar can also be added to the bottom of the screen (like Windows) for quick launches.

Navigating around the phone is quite easy (but can be confusing because there are so many buttons). This is a series 90 phone, so it is stylus-aware. The on-screen keyboard makes text input easier. *I kinda like it for SMSes*. There is also hand-writing recognition and you can train it to recognize your hand-writing if it doesn't understand your squirmy scribbles.

The on-screen dialer have bigger buttons than standard keypads. I guarantee that you won't miss it. You can tap with your finger (eee.... fingerprints!) or with the stylus. You can call up the dialer with the usual green phone button.

What I like about this phone is the amazing sound system. It is true stereo output baybee! All my friends went *WHOA* whenever I play an MP3. The sound quality is absolutely-perfectly-crystal clear. *Was quite disappointed with my mono-speaker in 6600*. It also comes with a Visual FM Radio but we need to plug in the 'fashion' headset in order to use it.

Application wise, we can edit Word and Excel documents. You can see up to cell G in Excel. You can also view (but not edit) Powerpoint presentations on it. I zapped in my 4.3MB Paladin presentation and it displayed nicely although a little slow on loading. There is also Music Player, Recorder and Real Player for our multimedia needs.

The camera is rather tricky as compared to 6600. There are no preset settings. You have to experiment with the Contrast and Brightness settings to find the optimum. My initial experience with the camera was absolutely disastrous and I was wondering how come a 1.2Megapixel camera can be worst than 6600's VGA camera.

I finally mastered the camera today. Here are some shots taken.


NPE Roadworks - Taken from within my car.


A Mug Shot - Get it? A *Mug shot* *Haha*


My 'smartphone' in office.


An area in my office. Here, I messed around with the brightness.

So you wanna know what is the secret to take good pictures with the 7710? Buy one from me and I'll tell ya :P The camera also has 2x digital zoom but I couldn't be bothered with it. The video camera is better than 6600 if you know how to configure it and it can take up to 1 hour of video recording.

To transfer all the stuff to my notebook, I have to use the USB data cable. The phone doesn't come with IR which makes communicating with old phones a hassle. The USB transfer rate is quite tolerable though I doubt it is USB 2.0.

Overall, I will give two thumbs up *plus two mother toes up* for this phone. It maybe slightly awkward for those of you who wants a phone that looks like a phone (like back then, where everyone feels that a phone should have a rotatable wheel dialer).

It can also be challenging to use if you are a SMS speedmaster with nimble thumbs and operates phones with one hand. This gadget is a two handed-device, although you can operate it with your left hand if you are used to gamepads *those playstation training really paid off*.

Okie. Gotta go! *HuGs*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post