Is.That.Light?

I've been officially redesignated as Assistant Technical Manager, Applications - (or what I conveniently call ATMA) and absorbed into the Solutions Integration competency group of my parent company this week. I guessed my responsibilities will widen again to cover more than just coding.

Things have been picking up for me at work recently. I got to go on-site to visit customers to take preliminary requirements and got the chance to try out our CMMI Top-level Work Plan template. I've also inherited the one-and-only .NET application which is a key system in the organization.

I'm glad my patience of waiting finally paid-off (a little) as I can now spread and demonstrate my .NET knowledge to my peers. I'm sharing my experiences in .NET with a new colleague assigned to me to work on the system and she is skilling-up in C# and Transact-SQL.

The system which I inherited, a Time Management system isn't in good-shape. There were many flaws in the design such as no considerations given for an extensible architecture and poor database design practices. There were tables that contain up to 8 composite keys and some tables had composite-keys made up of char and datetime which kills performance.

It will take a lot of effort to maintain this system but I guessed it is worth it since it is in .NET. I won't let it die so easily - unless someone wants to rebuild it on some other technology... which I hope not.

Anyway, let's see how everything goes from here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post